• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Picture Quality when posting on forums - which software

Started by paroch, September 13, 2007, 01:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paroch

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question - so forgive me if not.

I've recently started an MD and have noticed that the quality of my pictures are not as good as many others on here.  Now when I say "quality" I'm not talking about content (although that of course is a matter of opinion!) I am talking about definition.

I take pictures in SC4, then open them using MS Paint.  Save them as JPEGS and then upload them to image shack with a definition of 800 x 600 pixels. 

Is it just the fact that I am using Paint and would need photoshop to get better results?  And if photoshop is the answer, can I just pick up a cheap version on eBay or do I need a certain version to make it worth while? To be honest, if photoshop is the answer I'm not sure what else I'd use it for.

Anyway, here is one of my pictures to demonstrate what I mean.

The writing / signs on the fast food joint probably demonstrate what I mean.

Any suggestions you have on how I can improve the quality / definition of my pictures is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

thundercrack83

I haven't looked for one personally, but you may be able to download software that converts pictures from .PNG to .JPG instead of using a huge (and quite expensive) program like Photoshop just to do that. I would try searching for something like that, unless someone here already knows of program that works well. Hope this helps!

rooker1

Irfan View and Gimp are free.  Try to search for those.  Also I would try to turn up your resolution in the game.  I hope this helps.

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

paroch

Thanks guys for your replies.

I'll have a look at the programs you suggest Robin.  I have the resolution turned up to the max in-game.  The pictures there are fine.  It seems it is when I save them to image shack that the fuzziness comes in.

rooker1

Very strange.  I use Image Shack and I think my pictures are exactly the same, no change.  Well good luck anyways.

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

thundercrack83

Again, I could be wrong, but I think the problem lies with MS Paint. If you can change the pictures from .PNG to .JPG without MS Paint, I think you should be OK.

jmyers2043

Hello Paroch?

Are you changing the size of the image? or merely converting from png to jpg?
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

paroch

Ok, I've not downloaded one of the alternatives yet, but I was resizing when uploading to image shack.  I resized to 800 x 600 to make sure it fitted nicely here.

So now, I'm pasting a picture that has not been re-sized to see the result....

paroch

hmm, as I suspected, without the re-size you have to use the horizontal scroll bar (which I don't like).

So here ie the picture resized to 800x600 to compare quality.

this is more for me to compare- not necessarily expecting a response guys - although comments ALWAYS welcomed.

paroch

well, the re-size definitelty imacts on the qulaity.  I'll download one of the software packages suggested and see if that changes anything.

I suppose I could not resize and use 1024x768 but I know whenever I visit an MD that requires horizontal scrolling I find it a pain!

What do you think?  re-size and compromise qulaity or keep the picture quality but have horizontal scrolling? ()what() ()what()

TheTeaCat

Well a handy little program to use is the one by Wouanagaine called clip2pic available linkie

It will reszize the pic and put in a folder you want and label them incrementally too ;D ;D ;D

converts to jpg in fact does all the hard work for you. load those pics up and see hope they look :D

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

jmyers2043

It sounds like Tea Cat is giving some good adivse. I think that I'll be downloading 'clip2pic' later today and have a look and see for myself.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

TheTeaCat

its simple to take a pic too. Alt+print scrn = job done. It will resize to 800x600 if the original is bigger than that ;)

i fired up game quickly and took these 2 pics.

There is no photoediting at all on either pic and no detail loss either

the writing is clearly seen here compared with the writing in your pics

For sheer ease of use etc i recomend it as i use it all the time to get my ingame pics

All Hail Wounanagaine for his wonderful tools.

TTC
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"

paroch

First of all - THANK YOU to all who have responded to this thread.  Tea Cat - big big thanks for the linkie.  Just downloaded it and will post a test pic below to see results:

paroch

oh, yes - that's very nice :thumbsup:  Nifty utility there.  I think that's just the job.  Now time to retake pics for my MD update.

Tea Cat - I owe you a whole caddy full of your favourite tea!

cogeo

A small tip: If you apply a resize and the image is shrunk, try applying a sharpen effect, this can reveal details that are otherwise lost due to bluring.

TheTeaCat

Quote from: paroch on September 15, 2007, 12:20:54 PM
oh, yes - that's very nice :thumbsup:  Nifty utility there.  I think that's just the job.  Now time to retake pics for my MD update.

Tea Cat - I owe you a whole caddy full of your favourite tea!

My pleasure. That be any sort of tea :thumbsup:    but not earl grey $%Grinno$%

Please forward it to .......

The TeaCats Cafe.
The Waterfront,
Waterford
Shaphiyr-Harren
Simnation.
W1 1A

Looking forward to drinking it ()stsfd()

TTC

Gaston

I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong but I can't get clip2pic to do anything.   i have followed the instructions but it never seems to work.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

thundercrack83

Ooh, that's looks much better, paroch! I'm glad you got it all straightened out!