• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

My BAT creations

Started by khoianh94, February 16, 2008, 04:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khoianh94

Here in this thread I will present my newest BATs. I'm just BATting two weeks, so I'm quite a newbie at the moment.
(Hier gibt es den Thread auf Deutsch. ;))

Let's start with a small bus stop, which could be used as tram stop as well:

Release: ~March 08

RebaLynnTS

Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

khoianh94

In Munich you find electric signs for the next tram/bus on many stations. So I've BATted some, too:

Pat Riot

sehr gut! ;D
good bench. Try smoothing out the dark blue parts on the roof.

khoianh94

Quote from: Pat Riot on February 16, 2008, 10:00:20 AM
sehr gut! ;D
good bench. Try smoothing out the dark blue parts on the roof.

The station is so small that you can't see the details anyway.  %wrd

After I've rendered it, I found out that the station is too small. So I've scaled it to 140%:

khoianh94

Here are two pictures of the test rendering:

And although it's not visible ingame, I've added some plans from the MVG in Munich:

$%Grinno$%

RebaLynnTS

Becca

vester

Looks good, but ...

Try to adapt the blue color to the blue color in game. It's a bit to saturated.
Blue is a hard color to get right. Spend a lot of time on textures for some blue plastered walls.

cogeo

Looking good, but there are some possible points to improve:
- The resized busstop is way too big, just compare it with houses and small shops around to see what I mean. Consider reverting back to the original size, though I'm afraid it may be somewhat big as well!
- Is the shelter just not textured yet, or this is the final colour/texture? That blue is too bright and way too saturated. It needs to be desaturated A LOT, otherwise it's gonna be an eysore, esp if viewed next to maxis stuff. Please take this step even if this is EXACTLY the colour of the real busstop; players will just compare it with the ingame stuff, and will almost surely complain that it's "too bright" (meaning "too saturated").
- The model file can be modded after the export so that the glass can look as (semi)transparent. See my transparent Rail/GLR stations on the STEX. However I don't know if this is indeed worth (the procedure is a bit tedious), meaning if there exist items that can be displayed behind the glass (check all four rotations - closest zoom, to see if making this model transparent is needed or not). PM me if you are interested.
- If you are using 3dsMax it is possible to get rid of those jaggies. Check autovinos thread.
- I have released Roadtop Mass Transit V3.50. The pack contains roadtop station lots for streets, roads, oneways, avenues and GLR/Avenues. All props (incl the busstop shelter and the bus-sign/timetable) are configurable by the player. There is a Berlin Mass-Transit Theme and a German set of Road Markings too  :). Also the stations have been translated to almost all SC4 languages and specially modded for NAM and CAM. Consider uploading these as props for RTMTV3, instead of a special lot, as this work is already done (avoid duplication and all needed modding effort), and don't make players install multiple roadtop busstops - take into consideration that their Misc Transit Menu will most probably be so full that it's hard to locate the menu buttons. I can provide help if needed.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, all objects would be assigned materials, if you haven't already. Never rely on the "object's colour", although this works, results are almost always poor, looking "plastic". ALways define a material, even for monochromatic items - you can still play with speculars (highlights), something not possible with jusr the object's colour. That is you can control the way lighting works.

khoianh94

@all: The textures were updated yesterday evening, but I haven't posted them here.

Update:

And in the LE:

And I had the idea to make more colour variations, so I made some:

khoianh94

After I decided to make a big bus stop pack, I've started to make a second and bigger one:

RebaLynnTS

Becca

khoianh94

So, after a long discussion at SimForum, I stabilized the roof and added some small details:

JoeST

WOW thats lookin nice, didnt see it before

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Pat

I love the larger bus stop and that roof wow!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Pat Riot

ooh pretty...the way you've made it i could see it becoming a small train station too.

khoianh94

Quote from: Pat Riot on February 17, 2008, 12:51:56 PM
ooh pretty...the way you've made it i could see it becoming a small train station too.

I've planned to make a tram station, too. For railway, you need a bigger station - normal trains have more than 48 meters...

jayo

Thats looking great khoianh94-Love that transparent roof  :P  :)
I'm back

khoianh94

Thanks to all comments!  :thumbsup:

Here is a small update which I made yesterday:

And I've implented a wheelchair ramp - I'm nice to all people:  $%Grinno$%

City Builder

I'll be quite interested to see how this turns out when it's in the game.  Im no good at smaller objects, buildings etc and I find I spend far too much time putting in details that when the bat gets into the game get completely lost so it will be quite interesting to me to see how this looks in the game.

Looks great in the Max though, that's for dern sure.
When your tired of games of destruction, come to CityBuilderGames.com to discuss games of Construction!
Oh!  Thanks for the negative rep, I love you too!