• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Orleans County - A Burgmania! MD

Started by Ryan B., May 01, 2008, 09:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan B.

Orleans County, NY
Update #3 | Town of Murray

NOTE:  All images are pre-development shots.  Development will come very soon!

In the real world, Murray occupies the northeastern corner of Orleans County.  Murray includes the Village of Kendall (I hated playing them in high school - their fans brought cowbells everywhere they went; and they had a really weird warm-up song about fruit salad. ()what())

My version of Murray is predominantly agricultural, with a few cottages up along the lakeshore.  Murray also features the first of a few state parks & beaches along the Lake Ontario shoreline.

So, without further ado, the Lakeside Beach State Park:

The beaches are completed for the most part.  I've been looking for a few nice campfire lots & BATs.  (Always open to suggestions!  ;))

Here's how the vacationers access the State Park:

I'm rebuilding my plugins folder (yet again), and the DOT is planning on rebuilding this interchange once it gets the right tools.  :P

Here's the Parkway's interchange with Harris RD & Lake Shore RD:

You can see the abundance of agriculture.  Orleans County is one of the 'apple capitals' of the United States.

Next, the Ontario Ferry terminal:

The Ontario Ferry serves the southern shore of Orleans County.  There's also a 'fast ferry' that takes off from the majory city in the region (;)) to Buffalo, Rochester, Oswego, and Toronto.

And, finally - at least for this update - some driftwood that's drifted up onto the shore past the breakwater:

Once again, I apologize for the lack of development shots.  I'll have some for y'all (as well as some signage (finally!)) in the next couple of updates.

As always, I thank you for reading, and I welcome questions & comments.  Take care of yourselves, and each other.

Tarkus

Ryan, it's great to see another Orleans County update here!  As always, the interchanges look fantastic, and the SAM usage is quite creative. 

And I got a chuckle out of this:
Quote from: burgsabre87 on June 19, 2008, 06:12:02 PM
the DOT is planning on rebuilding this interchange once it gets the right tools.  :P

The right tools, eh?  Do you by chance mean RHW Version 21?  ::) :D

And I'm looking forward to seeing development, and of course, the signage. :)

-Alex (Tarkus)

paroch

Hi Ryan,

I like this update.  I always enjoy seeing how others build their cities, so found it interesting.

A couple of comments - really just on how your building style differs to mine and I'm certainly not saying it's better or worse!!
Really like the beach.  I often forget to put them in til it's too late.
I tend to use the PEG ferry terminals because they look nicer than the maxis ones.  I'm not aware of other decent ferry terminals other than Goldiva's passenger ferry.
Farms - I usually leave a one or two square gap between Ag-Zone and road and once the farm grows, fill in the gaps with trees and bushes to give a rural country lane kinda feel. 

I look forward to seeing the development and interested to see what houses grow next to the beach.

All the best
Paul

Palpatine001

Nice and I like what I see

But that car ferry gives me the jitters

From experience moving people around, 2 lane roads are next to useless with car ferries, avenues cope only just if the ferries max out, but hey then again I'm offering a friendly tip from a planning balls up when Solaria blew out to 3 million peeps

Otherwise  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

Filasimo

great update burg looking forward to see what develops next!  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

thundercrack83

This update's looking great, Ryan! The infrastructure looks great, and I can't wait to see when development starts.

Keep up the good work, my friend! I'll be back to see more!

Dustin

rhythmandjays

Great update!  &hlp

I'm going to looking forward to the Lakeside Beach State Park. The interchange you have there with the Big Dig components is great. I likes lots. Other than that, I'm looking forward to the development of Murray.  ;D

NASCAR_Guy

Looks interesting ;)

Can't wait for it to grow :)
Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

pilotdaryl

Hey Ryan!  The state park is looking great! :thumbsup:
If you need some campfire lots and BATs...
http://http://simpeg.com/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=cat743;tpstart=0
Pegasus has a whole bunch of 'em  ;D
I have all of these in my own plugins folder.  Hopefully I will know when you have them in yours, too. ;)

Ryan B.

Dear Readers of Orleans County,

I regret to inform you . . . . . blah blah blah . . .

It's going to be some time before my next update, folks.   :(  My laptop has a power problem.  Something's messed up with the contacts in the port where I plug the power cord in.  It's not getting any power to the laptop.

All my MD-related stuff is on that laptop; therefore, until I get it fixed, there won't be any more Orleans County.

I deeply regret having this happen.  It's been an hono(u)r to read your comments - and I hope to someday have more for y'all to comment on.

Until next time, please - take care of yourselves, and each other.

pilotdaryl

I've had similar problems - a virus found its way onto my PC and has reconfigured the way the system boots.  For a week or so I've struggled to fix it.  I've disconnected from the internet and worked in safe mode.  I've backed up as much files I could onto a USB portable storage device and called technicians.  Now that we're both disabled from everything, what gives?
Even though my situation is completely different, here are some suggestions for you:
-Calling or asking a local technician
-Taking your laptop to the local computer store or repair shop
Take care bud, and good luck with your problem.  Meanwhile, wish me luck with mine so that both our CJs (and also for me, important BAT projects) can continue as we once desired.
-Pilot

Ryan B.

Good news, folks - my laptop's fixed!

I should have an update coming later this week . . . . . . and it'll be of nothing but signs.  ;)

dedgren

That's great news, Ryan.  Always keeping my eye out for more OC.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Pat

hmmm I wonder where those signs are at lol.... Take your time Ryan and I will be looking forward to that update!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Ryan B.

OK, folks - you've waited for roadgeekery and signage long enough, and today you're going to get it!

Nothing actually in-game today, folks - RL has hit me in the behind and I haven't had much time.  :(

What I'm going to show are items in GMAX's front Perspective and BAT Preview modes.

First, the New York State Department of Transportation (NYDOT) has announced they will follow the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and Standard Highway Signs (SHS) publications of the State of Texas, as the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) has been on the leading edge of transportation construction for the past 75 years.

That being said, here are examples of what NYDOT will be using in Orleans County:

EDIT:  I've updated these models with visors and flipped the colors.  I would have a GMAX shot, but it's kinda hard to see the signal head & backplate with the black background.

Now, here are some of the directional and marker signs that will be posted at the Lake Ontario State Parkway's interchange with Ontario Street, in the city of Ontario Shore:

Both of these shots are northbound on Ontario Street.

I'm sorry I don't have more to show y'all at this point, but I'd like to thank each and every one of you for stopping by, looking, or leaving a comment.  It means a lot to me.

I will have more to show off soon (I hope . . . . better hope RL doesn't overcome me again).

pilotdaryl

Signs and signals are looking awesome! ;D
Got any bigger signs? :D

bat

Yes, nice work there on the signs! Looking forward to more... ;)

Pat

Ryan love those signs and traffic signals!!!  looking forward to see those ingame...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

canuck3360

thundercrack83

Wonderful work on these signs, Ryan! I can't wait to see them put into the game, my friend!

Keep up the fantastic work!

Dustin