• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bridge Engineers needed....

Started by jeronij, April 03, 2007, 11:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewart_garden

Jeroni, Ennedi,

I completely agree with both of your posts!  It is nice to strive for reality but it is also fantastic that SC4 allows us to imagine and build things that are not (yet) possible in real life. 

I am, as ever, amazed at, and hugely appreciative of, anyone who makes custom content for this game and those who give up their free time to manage this site.   &apls

Stewart
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

Sir Charles of Dunlap

Okay... Sorry guys but I don't know if I will be able to finish this right now. School starts pretty soon (in a week or 2), and I haven't actually played the game that much this summer. lol That and I need to start getting focused again. So, I am thinking I will put this on hold and work on it with the spare time I find on the weekends and stuff. I won't forget about it, it just won't be a priority. I am curious as to the status of the bridge I sent you Jeronij, I just was wondering if you have had time for it yet?

-Charlie

jeronij

SCoD, I am more or less in your same situation ( I mean lack of time and not being on holidays  $%Grinno$% ) and I havent had the time to have a look to it. I have the package in my desktop, so I dont forget about it, but I'll have to find the time  ::)

I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Sir Charles of Dunlap

Alright sounds good. So PM me whenever you get time for it. I won't hold it against you if you never get time. lol Well, for now it's back to lurker mode, unless something is just so cool I can't resist saying something. lol Maybe I shouldn't lurk.

-Charlie

threestooges

Well, I have gotten some more time, and have figured out some bugs that were plaguing me earlier (I wish I took a pic of it, but I was getting a bridge resembling some of Escher's work). However, I have since redone some work, and would like to get some feedback on a new bridge I just tested. The design I plan on is appx 1 pillar with 3 regular pieces in between, so please keep that in mind when viewing the thickness of the pillars (it just worked out this way with the test file). I do have one question though: does the top of the bridge base need to be at zero? Or will that result in the automata showing up like in the pic?

A steel girder rail bridge:

Swamper77

The surface of the network needs to be at 0 meters. You can have sidewalls that extend above the network surface on the sides so you can have guardrails. The pillars and understructure have to be below the 0 meter height. You also need custom-shaped LODs so you can see the vehicles on the surface of the bridge deck and so the pillars appear properly at the water line.

-Swamper77
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

jeronij

Hello 3stooges,

it is great to see a new model on the way  :thumbsup: ¡¡¡

I'd point you to the primary source for SC4 bridge making, started by Smoncrie ( where are you  %confuso  ::) ) , where you can see how a bridge was developed from start to end, and where most of your questions will find an answer:
Double Deck Bridge Experiment

I hope this helps  ;)

Also thanks Swamper77  for your always precise and useful information  :thumbsup:

Btw, the pilars for this bridge look too "fat"... I'd make them thiner.... ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

TheGunkid

I have some crappy models, can someone play with it, and get it in SC4?

Yoman

Our very own Ryan (filasimo) too advantage of the fact that I felt like modeling alot tonight and connived me into making a basic causeway bridge model :p

Now I have no clue whatsoever how to texture in 3ds max 7.00 and will find out tomorrow when my 3ds max advice man (glenni yay :P) tells me how. But until then any suggestions for the small piece? Ive also constructed an end piece but it looks much the same.

The dimensions on the piece are 16x16 and 16.9 tall (thats above Z = 0.0, it extends almost 200 downwards so that people can make the bridge high if they really must even though its not intended for that at all).

EDIT NEW PIC

Intended configuration of the bridge.

Filasimo

from the behind the scenes pics ya showed me this bridge has high potential simple yet great design....i cant wait to see this in game and more development....hehe you make me sound like a sly fox  :D in case u guys dont know that bridge style its the design style for the lake ponchartrain causeway
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

jeronij

Hello Yoman, nice design so far  :thumbsup: ¡¡¡ It is a nice looking neutral bridge. It could be used for many different networks  ;)

The bridge deck (where the cars run) must be at Z=0 for everything to work. You can find some network textures attached to the Making a bridge tutorial in this board. I hope some of they can be useful for you.

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Yoman

Thanks Jeronij, I've moved everything around and now the road deck is indeed at Z = 0.0, those textures should prove very useful like the tutorial was once I figure out how to apply them :P

TheGunkid

Quote from: Filasimo on September 14, 2007, 07:47:05 PM
from the behind the scenes pics ya showed me this bridge has high potential simple yet great design....i cant wait to see this in game and more development....hehe you make me sound like a sly fox  :D in case u guys dont know that bridge style its the design style for the lake ponchartrain causeway
Don't forget mobile bay. ;)

Kitsune

Quote from: TheGunkid on September 15, 2007, 08:07:22 PM
Don't forget mobile bay. ;)

And I think even the Chesapeake Bridge-Tunnel bridge portion is in that fashion. Its a real common design, hopefully this finds its way to be a GLR bridge....... :)
~ NAM Team Member

Yoman

It is indeed the type of design that all 3 of those bridges use, and many more. Ive textured the bridge (though not extremely accurately like the RL bridges, but this is my own variation with glenni's textures.

The pieces remain 16x16 but I couldn't help arraying them and putting water underneath :P

And thank you to Xiziz for this BAT preview :) My fault I forgot to send him the textures :P

And I'd love to offer the model for a GLR bridge if thats possible?

I'll work on the LODs and texture the end piece tomorrow, but after that would anyone consider Modding this into a dragable bridge?

TheGunkid

Wow, the guys with MDs/CJs that are in the south will love you.
Edit-
Oh crap, i just remembered that i based my 'Ruined Bridge' model them kind of bridges.

Yoman

Was it nessisary to quote my entire post with pics and all when it was right above you.

TheGunkid

Filasimo

glad you were able to get a BAT preview. i cant wait to see the BAT preview with the textures applied n such...good job!  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

jeronij

Quote from: Yoman on September 16, 2007, 11:16:01 AM

And I'd love to offer the model for a GLR bridge if thats possible?

I'll work on the LODs and texture the end piece tomorrow, but after that would anyone consider Modding this into a dragable bridge?

There isnt a bridge for GLR, but why not make the first one ?. However, you will have to texture it accordingly  ;) . You can render two versions if you want.
Once you have the SC4 models ( pls, pls, dont forget to follow the tutorial about LODing http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=158.0 ) you can send me a PM, and we will start to work with it  ;D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary