• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bridge Engineers needed....

Started by jeronij, April 03, 2007, 11:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Charles of Dunlap

Well that's kind of what I was thinking. I think that it's okay if the support pieces just go into the wall that the bridge is built on. Does that make sense? So if the bridge is built on a slope, the support pieces gradually come out of the ground as needed. I don't think I am making much sense. What I am saying is I would like to scrap the end/beginning pieces. Let me see if I can show you what I mean... hmm... Let me think, okay. So the end piece is the same as the support. So it looks like
                \xxxx                  xxxxxx                   xxxx/

That doesn't quite make sense does it? I really need to spend more time working on it. What I am going for is an old wooden rail bridge, something simple. Maybe that helps. I hope it does. Simplicity is what I am looking for.

-Charlie

jeronij

You can make some testing with some of the existing bridges, including the custom ones, so you can see how the different start/end piece designs work in the game. This will make your decition easier  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Sir Charles of Dunlap

Well I got things to  be the way I like them, but I can't export... I keep getting error code=6 or something like that. I am not sure why. I was going to try what I have so far using your test bridge from your tutorial, but I can't export it to try. So I am kind of in trouble with that. What I am thinking I want to do, unless it would be easier to export with, is add anything other than the bridge structure itself the T21 way, but I am not sure I even want to add anything, as I said I want it to be simple. Maybe I could send you the files I have. Let me know and I can send them to you. I think I might try start a new model, but first I want to get some inspiration. So just let me know, and I can send you the files.

-Charlie

jeronij

Did you try merging the model ( only the geometry and shapes) in a whole new scene ? . This could solve the rendering problems....  ::)

Hoever, if you want me to have a look to the files, upload them somewhere, and send me a link via PM  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Sir Charles of Dunlap

Alright, well I will try one last time, and then if it doesn't work I will find a place to upload them, and get you a link. You said before to play with the bridges and some of the custom bridges, well I discovered I have an issue, but I am not sure what. So I have downloaded most of the bridges off the lex, and the only ones that work are the ones that were included in the NAM. I tried downloading the NAM essentials file, and reinstalling the bridge controller a number of times, but they still don't work. Any suggestions there?

-Charlie

willvette

may i make a request, theirs this one bridge that was proposed to cross the Strait of Gibraltar (between Europe and Africa) and it looks so cool :thumbsup:. "The suspension cables for these longest bridges are suspended from the ends of cable-stayed struts extending diagonally from huge pylons."

I would like to request a large version for ground and raised highway and a small version for monorail/HSRP, Plz
I use google sketchup to get my basic ideas "on paper" if you would, than I go into BAT.   PS: I'm new at this.

Sir Charles of Dunlap

Do you have any more pictures?

-Charlie

jeronij

I have seen this in a TV report.... I even started a bridge inspired by this one called Capital Bridge.... however, it did not went to a good end....  ::)

SCoD, make sure you have only the NAM bridges controller file, the one included in the last NAM release ( june 07). This one is designed to work with all the existing bridges. Pay attention to some of Fukuda's bridges, which may still include an outdated controller file....

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

willvette

heres an old pic; but do you get the concept  "$Deal"$ 

these two pic is all i have to offer sry    PS: you try finding pics of this bridge
I use google sketchup to get my basic ideas "on paper" if you would, than I go into BAT.   PS: I'm new at this.

Ennedi

And there is a newer pic:

The project is not finished yet and can be changed many times. There are some opinions maybe the first one (smaller and easier to erection - but if it will be built, it will be the largest one in the world): Messina Bridge between Italy and Sicilia

There are four projects abou the Strait of Gibraltar:
1. suspension bridge
2. Gigantic dam
3. Tunnel
4. An unbelievable project of floating bridge (floating island and 2 floating tunnels connecting it with the shores

Only the island here

I also found very interesting site
There are a lot of interesting things on it, also many bridges (Gateshead  ;) and many others)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Sir Charles of Dunlap

Yeah I searched for some pics, but no luck. I did find the thing about the floating bridge, which would supposedly be able to power all of Moroco, and some place in Spain, and pay for itself that way, and by tourism. So jeronij is the bridge controller on the LEX not the one I need? I also looked at the Google Earth pic, and it is completely not to scale, or if it is it looks extremely funny. lol Well, I was working on a little something... I am going to have questions soon...

-Charlie

Sir Charles of Dunlap

Okay, well here's what I've got:

It obviously is not the finished product, I actually have only been working on the support piece. It still is missing a few details and needs texturing. I just slapped that together to give you guys a preview. I would like some C&C, complements and criticism.

-Charile

EDIT:
Picture size reduced 50%. Click on the picture to see the full-sized picture.
Please, try to keep the width below 1,024 pixels. Otherwise most people will have to scroll sideways in order to read the posts.
RippleJet

willvette

not realy what i was thinking of, but good work ;)

jeronij

Not that bad... but can be improved  ;)

You dont need to add these suspension wires, they will be added by the game  ;)
The diagonal supports should be made into a single piece, and their suspension cables should be modelled ( those can not be added by the game engine)
I also think all the pieces should be at least twice bigger for such an intercontinental bridge.

Other than this, the shape looks great so far  ;D

Btw, what about the pylons for the column pieces... ? and did you made some work with the start/end piece  ::) ?

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Sir Charles of Dunlap

lol You're going to try and get me with those start/end pieces every time aren't you? lol Well, I actually do know what I am going to do with those, just got to put a little more thought into it. The thing about the suspension cables, I already knew that the game puts them together, I just added them for the sake of getting a picture of what it will look like. One question about them though, do I need to model them, and render them separately? Diagonal supports need to be made into one piece...? I am not sure what you mean, I do get the part about adding the cables to those. One last thing pylons for column pieces meaning? Sorry for all the questions, I haven't looked at it for a couple days.

Willvette... lol What exactly were you thinking of? I could try and bring it closer to what you asked for, however I don't have much to go by... lol I tried to stay as close to as what I saw in your picture as possible, however it wasn't all that easy, not having much to go by. Well, let me know more about your specifications.

Oh... Jeronij, I just noticed you said I should make all the pieces twice as big sense it's an intercontinental bridge... How much bigger? The support pieces are already 4 wide, by 10 (Ithink 10, I will have to check) long. I can make them bigger I supposed, not quite sure how, but if I do so I might be sending this one to you too for rendering. I must admit I tried to make it like 400x1000 tiles to begin with... lol I didn't realize the scale until I started to render the first time, so I started over. lol I wasn't that far anyways, and it was only a preview. Okay, I am going to work on the start/end pieces.

-Charlie

willvette

what Jeronij said was on the money Sir Charles &Thk/(

Sir Charles of Dunlap

Ahh... Well then that's good. Makes things lots easier. lol I am working on the start/end pieces right now, I am going to need to find some inspiration I think.  ;) Maybe you have some suggestions?

-Charlie

Ennedi

@Sir Charles of Dunlap:

Of course the intercontinental bridge must be really huge. But you must have regard to the big city tile size. If you want to see how it can look, try to build the biggest one existing in sc4 - Akashi bridge in the large city with the wide strait (about 80% of the city size). Jeronij said all pieces should be at least twice bigger than other bridges. But in my opinion they can be only slightly bigger than Akashi, larger bridge will look oversized.
You should also remember you must have some land in your city. Large bridge connecting two small pieces of land will look ugly, and if you will build your bridge in the widest place of the strait, it will be unrealistic.

But I think the project similar to willvette's pictures is very original and can look great in sc4  :thumbsup:, also if it will have pieces as big as Akashi or about 1,2x bigger

Of course it's only my opinion, but I've already built some large bridges in my new region and I see how they look.  :)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

stewart_garden

Just for your interest and reference, the real life main span of the Akashi Kaikyo bridge is 1991 metres (that's between the towers, not the overall length).  The planned Messina bridge (Italy to Sicily) was to have a main span of about 3,300 metres.  Not sure how viable this strait of Gibraltar bridge would be in real life, but I admire your conviction for wanting to model something this massive!

Stewart
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

mightygoose

looking at the gibralta bridge, its one i was conteplating modelling as well.... but a couple of questions came to mind, is it possible to have the split in the roadway as with the real thing, like for instance if it used the RHW6, is that even possible? sencondly are the peices allowed to be wider than the network itself... just look at the gibralta bridge picture... note the stairs on the side of the column.... i dont know exactly how big yours is sir charles but i am curious as to your measurements...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....