• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Biltmore County, from 1880s small town...to 2000s metropolis...

Started by poshbakerloo, December 04, 2009, 11:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poshbakerloo

Biltmore County, a new world, a new town...

Biltmore County was created in 1887 when the new world was being populated at an increased rate. The county seat Biltmore has been the centre of population for a very long time. It is situated just off the coast to give it a good location for people migrating from Europe and people wanting to trade. The county as a whole is mainly made up flat dry plains covered in pine forests that reach up into the Biltmore Mountains.

With an increasing population the Biltmore Council are looking to construct some new towns in the surrounding area to help population growth and attract further people.

Here is the current region view...

Current transport view...

The Downtown area of Biltmore is pretty much all commercial. The medium/low density shops and offices surround the park which is very popular in the summer months with workers in the buildings near by...

The Biltmore Academy opened its doors in 1917. It has since been recognised as the premier place for young adults to get educated...

With commerce bustling in the town, commercial expansion has already started. In the southern area of Biltmore the Kingswood Business Park has brought a lot of extra business to the town, and also some needed jobs...

The East Ferry Terminal acts as a huge short cut for people trying to get to work in the industries across the river...

The other side of the river is mainly farmland, but there are some factories aswell. The farms where the first jobs to arrive when Biltmore was founded in the 1880s...

The farms stretch right up into the hills, wind power is being used increasingly to keep pollution down...

rooker1

Hello poshbakerloo or can I call you Alex?
First let me welcome you to SC4D and your very first post.  You couldn't have made a better first post in my opinion. 
Your city looks great, I can't wait to see what you have for us next.

If you have any questions or need any help, don't hesitate to PM me.  ;)

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Earth quake

Really good start. :thumbsup:
Your city is look really nice and your overview is beautiful.

Tomas Neto

Yeah, is a very nice start!!! Great work!!!  :thumbsup:

danielcote

This town is actually very nice for 85% maxis. The place looks quite tranquil. Isn't that The GVR II Boarder town map?  ::)

Battlecat

Excellent start! That's a classy little town, I'm liking how the farms sprawl over the hillside!

calibanX

You've got a very nice looking town growing there. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take it.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

poshbakerloo

Replies...

rooker1,

Heeey, thanx! I've done things like this on simtropolis before, but decided to give it a go here!

Earth quake,

hey there, thanx, I'm doing it different this time. Before my cities have all been use metropolises, so I wanna do something different and build it up a bit before.

Tomas Neto,

hey thanx for ur comment!

danielcote

heeey, yeah I have quite a bit of custom content, but not as a much as some lol. I guess I make the best with what I've got lol

Battlecat

hello, thanx for your comment! stay tuned for more!

calibanX

I'm excited aswell! lol. I'm just gonna let it grow itself in places to let it develop more naturally.

Update: Astoria, the expansion of Biltmore to the south...

The amount of people moving into Biltmore has been increasing over the past few decades. Because of this many more houses needed to be built. Because of the demand for houses Biltmore has been extended. Empty land to the south of town has been constructed on. Astoria is of a similar format to Biltmore. Low density houses, with a commercial centre. Many of the city planning advisor's have been a little concerned about the lack of medium/high density construction which has lead to a bit of a sprawl affect happening. The current mass transit in the town is mainly based around bus services. Will the narrow streets and haphazard road layout lead to trouble in the future?

Updated region view...

Updated transport view...

The centre of Astoria has largely commercial. There is a large park and plaza area also. The main road through the centre of town (Astoria Avenue) has been getting increasingly congested, as you maybe be able to see...

More central area shops and commercial propertys...

Large family homes to the north of Astoria...

More family homes in the eastern part of town...

Southern Astoria near the ferry terminal...

With the increased congestion of traffic travelling between the Biltmore and Astoria town centres, Astoria Avenue (the main road between the two places) has needed to be widened. Here is the souther end in Astoria...

Here is the northern end of Astoria Avenue with the Kingswood Business Park to the east...

Tomas Neto

Nexis4Jersey

Great start , i like the small town feel to it :thumbsup:

calibanX

Excellent. I like the slight blur you give your pics. This update shows off some great suburbs.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

Nanami

poshbakerloo

Replies...

Tomas Neto,

Hey, thanx for your comment! more coming soon  ;D

Nexis4Jersey,

Hey Corey  ;) thanx, your MD is looking pretty darn good aswell

calibanX,

Thanx for your comment! Yeah I'm doing it differently this time. My other cities (not posted on here) have all been huge metropolises...I'm going for a different format now!

Hey, nice to see you like it! More coming soon!

Update: Expansion into Columbia, riverside houses in Astoria & a new road junction for Biltmore...

Columbia is the newest part of town to be constructed. It is sat right below the Biltmore Mountains (The view from the top is amazing) and stretches west from Biltmore...This part of town again as a suburban feel to it, but the gradual increase in population is taking its toll on the roads. More and more congestion is leaving some sims at breaking point. The newer roads are being built in a larger scale and some road junctions are being redesigned for the increased use...

Updated region view...

Columbia, this is main avenue into town from the west is quite a big road, not too popular with pedestrians, but it gets the cars moving fast enough...

Further up the avenue is a rather awkward junction, it was built to allow grade separated flow thru of cars...the city planners are looking at changing this...

Suburban homes are plentiful in Columbia, and are very popular with families...

family homes on Kings Crescent...

Low/medium wealth homes...

Downtown Columbia, a pedestrian road has been built to make shopping a nicer experience for the cities residences...

Astoria, a new road junction has been opened to keep the traffic flowing fast. The Southern Bridge which leads down to this junction is often very busy...

The new Golden Sands Country Club has opened on the southern shore of Astoria, very popular with rich sims...

With the new country club comes some new houses built right on beach is some places...

In Biltmore there has been a lot of work done to ease congestion on Astoria Avenue...here the roundabout has gone, and a larger traffic circle has been built to accommodate more cars...

poshbakerloo

Railways in Biltmore County...

Biltmore is growing fast. The population has grown to 74,230...
The demand to travel quickly from place to place has been growing...
The first rail line has been constructed From Biltmore to the newest locale, Oakwood via Astoria.
It is all on the surface, but where is goes thru built up areas such as Astoria, it has been elevated
on to a viaduct, with elevated station along that section.

Here is visual map of what has been built so far...

Battlecat

This is coming along very nicely.  Quite the crazy intersections in a few places, there must be a serious traffic problems to need a road over road overpass. 

Tomas Neto

poshbakerloo

Replies...

hey, thanx...stay tuned for more!

Battlecat

Hey, yeah traffic is getting pretty bad in some places. Larger avenues have been built now in places.

Tomas Neto

Thanx! Yeh I enjoy doing suburbs, making nice places is fun hehe

Updated Region view...

Oakwood, Oakwood is the new place in Biltmore. Its sat by the river and has some very expensive houses. It is also the sight of the terminal for the first rail line. There is quite a lot of industry there also...

Here are some expensive family homes in the Cottonwood area of Oakwood...

More Cottonwood homes...

Long Water Park...

The road bridge over the rail line. The rail line travels alone the edge of the river...

The industrial area...

The new shopping plaza is very popular aswell...

The all new country club as just opened...

In Biltmore business is increasing. the first highrise has just been constructed. Not very popular with everyone but it has brought many jobs to town. In addition to this A huge new church has been built. Saint David's Cathedral is very beautiful...

Columbia, the western extension to The Avenue...

Battlecat

Looks great!  You've got a really nice looking patch of suburbia developing in this region!  I also quite like how Elmwood Plaza turned out!

Tomas Neto