• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Prepo's BAT thread

Started by prepo, April 14, 2007, 04:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prepo

a brick-wall version of the corner building.

2 new buildings.. that white one, "Sampo-palatsi" is based on real-world building from Pori (though it was demolished in 1950's..) I'm going to improve textures and scale it higher..

Roundabout testing..

Glenni

ROFL? lol nice work on the station!

FromTheAshes

Awesome :) The stations a great idea
Visit Vorsfelde.

iamgoingtoeatyou

freedo50

great work prepo, that gas station will be really useful, and that second building looks really great! good work :thumbsup:

Fred

baconrocky

WOW, I cannot wait to see what other Diagonal Pieces you'll come out with. Very Nice.

spa

Geez you're revolutionizing the game here. These diagonal buildings are going to be a big hit and useful to many. They're also really well detailed and that's saying something considering how much of a hassle diagonal buildings are to create and lot. Keep up the great work  &apls

All that said, I can't say that I care for the roundabout gas station though. Putting a building in the centre of a roundabout is a great idea and one that people have so far overlooked (existing roundabout stuff is either a transit station or landscapping). However, I think a gas station isn't an appropriate building for the space because gas stations generate a constant stream of entering and exiting traffic. Locating a gas station in the centre of a small roundabout like the ones we have in Sim City, would be an accident just waiting to happen. Maybe a cafe or something would be more fitting?

Glenni

got a little request prepo: Could you try making footprint models of your diagonal buildings showing how you made them so others could follow? i'm quite interested in making more of these myself, rather than those hidious trinagle buildings i used to make...

Zaphod

War Kittens !?

Krio

Excellent and creative!  &apls

Sampo palatsi looks great, those Sampo-signs give me reality to the game and ROFL-station is awesome. Is it funkkis-style also? Because it reminds me about one cool Esso station, which is behind Helsinki School of Economics.

And I agree with Glenni, footprint would be great for him because I still see nightmares about his triangles..just kidding  ;D

Ja hyvää vappua!

prepo

I actually made the station almost a year ago, but didn't show it outside BSC... Vil gave me idea for the name..

QuoteHowever, I think a gas station isn't an appropriate building for the space because gas stations generate a constant stream of entering and exiting traffic. Locating a gas station in the centre of a small roundabout like the ones we have in Sim City, would be an accident just waiting to happen. Maybe a cafe or something would be more fitting?

I know it's not so realistic, it's a kind of joke..

Quotegot a little request prepo: Could you try making footprint models of your diagonal buildings showing how you made them so others could follow? i'm quite interested in making more of these myself, rather than those hidious trinagle buildings i used to make...

QuoteAnd I agree with Glenni, footprint would be great for him because I still see nightmares about his triangles..just kidding

I had that idea also when I started making this set and I may do so.. :)
Would they better be gmax files or rendered model files with lots? It's also not so easy to place them correctly in lot editor, as you can see in my pics there's sometimes (by mistake) some small gaps between buildings..
And I know many people like you glenni are using 3dsmax, can you easily import gmax to 3dsmax?

QuoteIs it funkkis-style also? Because it reminds me about one cool Esso station, which is behind Helsinki School of Economics.
Yes, it's kind of funkkis.. not based on any real one.

QuoteJa hyvää vappua!
Vappuja sinnekin!

Glenni

i really have no idea how you can convert from gmax to 3ds, but is it possible  for you to save as AUTOCAD?

Sim Shady

i'd talk to simfox about converting files like that, im pretty sure he has done it before.

prepo

I don't know about autocad, but there are some export/import plug-ins to convert gmax to 3dsmax compatible file, though some data will be lost like texture mappings (ok, it's not important in this case). I don't remember if it saves for example the scale correctly... which is the most important.

rooker1

I love the diagonal buildings.  This will be a great addition to the game, great work.  I kinda like the gas station, joke or not.

Robin   :thumbsup: &apls
Call me Robin, please.

mightygoose

do you intend to do buildings of other world styles, or are they all going to be european??
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Glenni

Based of Helsinki's/any other Finnish city's buildings aren't  they? &Thk/(

Krio

Quote from: mightygoose on May 01, 2007, 08:21:19 AM
do you intend to do buildings of other world styles, or are they all going to be european??

What's wrong with European / Scandinavian style?

vester

Send the files my way, I have converted a few gmax files to 3ds Max files.

callagrafx

The route from Gmax to Max requires you have the MD3 plugin and conversion software such as Deep Exploration.  It's not a painless process but it is doable.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it